Veterans Gateway is the first point of contact for veterans seeking support.

There are many services available to help and support veterans returning to or settling in Hertfordshire.


SSFA is a lifelong support for serving and ex-serving personnel and their families including housing advice, bereaved support, adoption and disability/additional needs. To get in touch call 0800 731 4880.


Your GP can give fast and expert treatment and assessments. All veterans are entitled to priority access to NHS hospital care for any condition related to their service.

The process is explained in Meeting the healthcare needs of Armed Forces personnel, their families and veterans.

Combat Stress

Combat Stress offer free specialist treatments and welfare support to veterans suffering from depression, anxiety and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Call their 24-hour service on 0800 138 1619 or email them.



Call 0800 652 3169 for Hertfordshire’s Drug and Alcohol Treatment and Recovery Service. We offer advice, information and a full recovery assessment for users, their families and carers. 


Big White Wall

Big White Wall encourages you to be open about what's on your mind. It's an online service helping those experiencing mental health problems.


Royal British Legion

The Royal British Legion support those currently serving, ex-service personnel and their families. Call the contact centre on 0808 802 8080 which is open 7 days a week from 8am – 8pm.

Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund

Supports all serving and former members of the RAF and their partners and children.  Call 0800 169 2942 or visit

Help for Heroes

Help for Heroes - practical and direct life-time support to those who have suffered a life-changing injury or illness whilst serving one of Britain’s conflicts since 2001, or you care for someone who has. Call 01980 844224 from Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm.

ABF The Soldiers’ Charity

Offers lifetime support to serving and retired soldiers and their families, including direct financial assistance for debt relief, mobility assistance, education, care-home fees and respite breaks.
Call 020 7901 8900, email us or visit our website.

TRiM 4 Veterans

Trauma Risk Management for Veterans gives support to all Royal Marines Veterans. We're a team of volunteers who support veterans and their families who are experiencing psychological, financial or physical difficulties as a result of their service. Visit our website to find out more.

Veterans Bereavement Support Service

The Veterans Bereavement Support Service was created by those who have served in the Armed Forces and Merchant Navy to provide a specialist bereavement support network for both those who serve and have served, and also their family at the time of need.

Blue Badge disability parking permit

You will definitely get a Blue Badge if:

  • You are blind or severely sight impaired
  • You get Personal Independence Payment (PIP) under the “Moving Around” section
  • You get the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance
  • You get the War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement
  • You receive a benefit from the Armed Forces Compensation scheme

You are exempt from the £10 application fee for a Blue Badge if your disability is as a direct result of being injured in conflict whilst in active service.