If you've recently been discharged from the Armed Forces and are moving to Hertfordshire, visit our schools admissions pages for advice on how to apply for a school place for your child.

Addresses of UK service personnel and crown servants

We understand that families of UK service personnel and other crown servants can move more frequently.

When you apply, include an official letter from either:

  • Ministry of Defence (MOD)
  • Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO)
  • Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ).

The letter must give your relocation date and a unit postal or quartering address in Hertfordshire. We'll use that address. 

We'll also consider applications, and offer families a place in advance, if the application is accompanied by an official letter that declares a relocation date but does not provide a quartering or unit address because the family will be residing in private accommodation. In these cases, if the family doesn't already have a permanent private address in Hertfordshire, the military base or alternative "work" address in Hertfordshire will be used for allocation purposes.

Children's Services can guide you through the process of applying for a school place and explain the application processes to you.

Contact Children's Services:


or call: 0300 123 4043


If an application for an In Year place is accompanied by an official MOD, FCO or GCHQ1 letter declaring a relocation date we can arrange a school place in advance of the relocation.